Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Patience is definitely not my strongest point.

Ask anyone in my family and they'll tell you!! Never tell me a secret, I'll burst wanting to tell... and you should see me with gifts - giving them I mean. 9 times out of 10 I've told the recipient what it is before they've opened it.

Anyway, that's off topic. I started my rust dyeing today between work stints. First step was to turn the nice shiny bits of metal into rusty objects. This happened a lot quicker that I'd expected (using a mixture of bleach and vinegar - outside with lots of fresh air) - see my bucket of rust - it's even murkier now.
The sandwich (plastic wrap, fabric, rusted metals, more fabric and more plastic wrap) with vinegar throughout is now sitting there rusting away nicely. I have a picture but blogger is not cooperating so you'll just have to imagine. You can see the rust marks coming through and I just want to open it up and peek, however I have to wait the full 24 hours.

I did learn one thing... which had I thought about it, I knew already, however... I took the metal pieces straight from the rusty solution (remember bleach and vinegar), thinking that that would be best 'cause it's all nice and rusty... WRONG!!! remember BLEACH!! Of course this really mattered as one of the pieces of fabric I was using was a navy blue flannelette that I'd dyed last year (for a discharge project of all things!) and it went that nice pinky orange colour straight away. SOOOO I took the metal bits off and let them dry out and started again.

Now I'm waiting waiting waiting..... (and I do wish blogger would lift it's game so I can show you the picks)

No comments: