Recipe: Chicken, Date And Honey Tagine
Servings: Serves 4
Cook Time 1 Hour 30 Minutes:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
½ teaspoon ground saffron
2 teaspoons ground cumin
8 chicken thigh cutlets (1.2kg)
30 grams butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped finely
1 cinnamon stick
1 ½ cups water
6 seedless fresh dates
2 teaspoon honey
¼ cup blanched almonds, toasted
Rub salt, pepper, saffron and cumin onto chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan and cook in batches until browned. Remove from pan and drain all but tablespoon of the liquid from the pan. Add onion and cinnamon to the pan and cook until onion is soft
Return chicken to the pan. Add the water and simmer, covered for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Add dates and honey and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until thickened slightly.
Sprinkle with nuts. Serve tagine with saffron couscous.
If using a slow cooker....
1. Rub salt, pepper, saffron and cumin into chicken - no need to marinate
2. Put onions and cinnamon and butter into slow cooker and put chicken on top (leave oil out)
3. Add 1cup of water - enough to almost cover chicken
4. Add honey and half thedates
5. Set on auto for about 6-8 hours
6. Serve with nuts and couscous