Monday, February 22, 2010

Nothing to show...

So I give you....

Dragonfruit

Dragonfruit!!

I love the colour of the outside, and was even more impressed when it was cut. I wasn't so keen on the taste, but I'm not sure if it was completely ripe (I think it should have been a bit softer).



I had a productive day yesterday but it wasn't very creative and I have no pictures...

I've been helping a friend to put new curtains into his house so that he can put the house on the market. A girlfriend and I spend a day at Spotlight and bought a whole bunch of ready made curtains and hung them over Christmas, but we couldn't find anything for the kitchen or bathroom.

Yesterday morning I whipped up a pair of curtains for the kitchen and then cut down a couple of Bunnings-Bargains ($8 per curtain!!) for the bathroom. We had originally bought ready mades that I was going to cut down for the kitchen, but when I put the two together, I found that the wide stripes were completely mis-matched and I just couldn't do it. Instead I cut one down (actually I didn't even cut it -just doubled it back on itself and stitched just underneath the rings (like a bubble skirt!).

Yesterday afternoon we headed over, sewing machine in tow and finished the job. Dropped a few hems on the ones already hanging, made some minor adjustments on the ones to be hung (bathroom and laundry) and job done in a couple of hours. It looks great, and all up we spent only $800 which included a new bedspread, some placemats, a couple of plates and glasses to dress the place up a bit (oh and some random things from our place that were on their way to the op-shop).

...and yes I still have to finish the curtains in our place - did work on them a bit yesterday - but first I need some more 'fun' sewing first...

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Ooh I had one the other day. Nothing much to it but it gives you the feeling you are eating something totally luxurious don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Sophie, I have never seen dragon fruit. Forget the taste, it is spectacular looking! There's a lot of art inspiration on that plate.