Friday, October 05, 2007

Mosaic Mural

I came across this on the Aus_NZartquilters list and had to share.

Remeber I was looking at photomosaics as inspiration for one of my exhibition peices. Well here's an artist who does art mosiacs in the same way - Lewis Lavoie.

What I love most is how they are created.

Basically (although there's nothing basic about it really) he prepares a series of panels that other artists then paint. The artists don't know what the final image is so they are not influenced by it.

Have a look at the mural at this link and then go to this link to see how he does it.


It's quite ingenious really - by giving the artists a base, and some loose guidelines (colour, tone or shape) Lewis is able to reassemble the artworks to make the originally planned image.

Perhaps this is how I could look at making my mosiac (without the element of surprise of course). Choose and image, blow it up, cut it up, create individual artworks and then reassemble them.

No comments: