Today I made another attempt at interpreting my spinifex drawing in fibre. I'm not sure which picture I like better so I offer you both (the top is with the flash so the sheer organza's sparkle a little, and the other using natural light so the reds look a bit pinkish)
I'm much happier with today's efforts. I did a couple of things different this time:
- Purchased some new double sided interfacing (not heat'n'bond - which I don't normally buy, but did recently as it was all that Spotlight had). This was much better to use;
- built my image up gradually, fusing and adding and fusing and adding
- used a clean peice of baking paper every time I fused (yes, bought that too - a BIG roll)
There's still no stitching on it and again I'm not sure how to approach it. I don't want to ruin it and as yet I'm not all that confident that I could get nice steady lines - even though some simple straight line stitching not following any particular grasses, but using the same shape.
Looking at it now (it's pinned to a board and leaning against the television cabinet for contemplation), i could see it built up (3 dimensionally), particularly in the lower left-hand corner.
Perhaps I could do both....
Edited: Thanks for the encouragement - it really helps. I should not also that this piece is not all that large. It measures 10" x 16". The size, and the fact that they grasses are already overlayed means that stitching around individual grasses is not really an option, but sewing over them randomly is, and it will also serve to hold any flyaway grasses down. Besides, it will only be a wallhanging and won't be subjected to washing or general ruffing up.