Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Alpaca Felting...

Felted Alpaca Scarf/wrap

Sometime last year (or was it the year before?...) I was given an alpaca fleece by my Aunty and Uncle who have Sunline Alpacas. It's sat in the cupboard calling to me for some time and each time I look at it, not knowing what to do or where to start. Initially I was going to spin with it - I received an old spinning wheel from Grandma at the same time - but that's a whole new skill to learn and I'm not really ready to start that yet...

Alpaca Felting

So I decided to try my hand at felting. I have felted before - maybe twice - and so have an idea of the principles but I was a bit rusty so I read up on the techniques and then set to work....

Alpaca Felting

I used a large piece of bubble wrap for the rolling, and added some darker wool (not alpaca - can't remember where it came from but I think Mum bought it when she was in Tasmania) for decoration.

Alpaca Felting

I like the shape that it turned out - it started out square but has nice wavy edges and the corners turned into points all by themselves - I didn't manipulate it in any way except to poke the holes in the circle shapes. I wanted a fairly light felt and so it has a loose, holey effect which I like. I probably could be a bit longer too.

Felted Alpaca Scarf/wrap

Felted Alpaca Scarf/wrap

This one was just a sample to see how it went and I already have ideas and thoughts of others (and I still have a heap of fleece left). Bring on the weekend!!

Felted Alpaca Scarf/wrap

No comments: