Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bags of fun..

I've had a very productive day of sewing making Eowyn's bag. I've really enjoyed it despite my initial uncertainty about not having a pattern.

I started with a rough (very rough) sample to get an idea of size and then took a quick trip to the op-shop with my tape measure in my pocket to find a child's backpack so I could compare my measurements - mine were pretty similar so I was set to go ahead.

I think the bit that I've enjoyed most is the problem solving. The bit where I've had to work out what order I need to work in to ensure that I don't have to back-track or unpick - so far so good and I've been able to work forward all the way.

What I've discovered is that I've had to work in a slightly different order to what I'm used to. Normally I make up the body of the bag and then make straps and pockets etc and then the lining and then assemble it all. For this bag I've had to make up most of the straps and pockets first before I could sew the first seam on the body of the bag. I've even worked out how to include a couple of neat pockets that worked a treat.

All that's left for tomorrow is to finish the straps, the flap and the lining and join it all together. Finally I'll add a magnetic closure and then sit back and admire my work.

Oh and I should add that todays temperature was MUCH more comfortable...

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I know what you mean about the problem-solving. I thinkit's the challenge of working things out that drives a lot of my ideas.